Followers

Friday 4 January 2019

January 4, 2019

Good Afternoon:

It has been a fun filled couple of days for Papa and me, when our middle Grand Buddy, stayed over recently.  We love it when a Little wants to hang out with us Grands.  Always so much fun!  And they are always so polite.  When I ask what they want to eat, it's always:  Whatever you want.  That's not what I asked. What do You want to eat?  This time I got a ~ Pancakes!  And, as always, the Little gets to help prep the meal.  After he chose one of the eggs he had previously gathered that morning, we set about to make pancakes. 

Beat egg until frothy.

Cast Iron Griddle.

The end result, complete with Maple Syrup and Whipped Cream!  Yum!

He thought the old fashioned egg beater was pretty cool!  He got that egg good and frothy, just like the 1950's recipe said to do!  This recipe was from the Blue Ribbon Cookbook.  A simple, no fail recipe.  

In bowl:  Sift together 1 cup all purpose flour, 1 Tbsp Baking Powder, 1/2 tsp salt & 2 tbsp sugar.

In separate bowl, beat one egg until frothy.  Add 1 cup of milk and 2 tbsp melted butter.

Pour egg/milk mixture into flour mixture.  Stir until combined.  Batter will be lumpy.  Onto greased skillet or griddle, scoop 1/4 cup mixture per pancake and flatten, if necessary.  Flip when bubbles form and bottom is brown.  Let cook until cooked through.  Makes about 8 pancakes.
 
The older I get, the more frustrated I have become with electronics.  In fact, if an electric/electronic appliance wears out at our house, I have to think long and hard at to what I am going to replace it with.  A few years ago, yet another coffee pot gave up the ghost.  We decided not to replace it.  We now have 2 coffee presses and 2 Corningware stove top perks ~ neither of these have any parts that could wear out or malfunction.  The old fashioned egg beater will replace my hand mixer, when it goes ~ but I have it on hand already, to prepare for that day.  

It amazes me how appliances made in the 1950's, 60's, 70's and even early 1980's still work very well, as intended, without a hiccup.  Anything electronic/ electric made in the 1990's and newer seems to have a built in malfunction/expiration button.  I for one, don't want to play any more.  A coffee maker should last for more than 2 years!  Electronics have become absolutely disposable and it actually makes me sick.  What a crazy, consumer driven, disposable society we live in!  

When we built our home in 2009, we went mid-high end appliances, thinking this should be it.  We should have these for the rest of our lives.  Ha!  The dual-fuel Electrolux Stove needed 3 motherboards replaced in 4 years.  Our Dual Drawer Fisher-Paykel Dishwasher had gone thru 2 top mother boards and 1 bottom one, and needed yet another replaced.  The Electrolux Microwave also powered out within 5 years.  This is ridiculous!  

Since we obviously can't do without a stove, I had our local appliance store (privately owned, not a franchise) search for a 100% gas range with NO electronics.  The ONLY one on the market available that they were able to find, is a Blomberg, made in Turkey!  It does have electric, but not electronic igniters, so I can still use the range top in a power outage or complete failure of them.  There is nothing that can go wrong with this stove.  It is a modern "old fashioned" gas stove.  

The Dishwasher is a standard dishwasher - but if it goes, it won't be replaced - as well as the microwave ~ or death box, as I have heard it called recently!  I hardly ever use it, so I certainly won't miss it.  In fact we went for probably a year before we replaced the other one.  I didn't miss it at all, but Papa did, so I caved and agreed to replace it.  He knows that if this one goes, that's it for microwaves.  

Our washing machine is an old fashioned Whirlpool, complete with agitator and crank dials.  That was difficult to find as well, but I love it.  And the dryer isn't used very often, so if it goes, it will be a slight adjustment, but not life altering.  

Even my computer is a Windows 7.  I haven't upgraded since I don't download anything and I really love the programs I have installed.  

My Cell phone went from a Samsung slide phone to a Galaxy 7, when I needed a way to accept electronic payment.  Now that I know about e-transfers, I will have to think long and hard about replacing that, too, should I need to.

Once Papa left the corporate world and left his electronic leash behind, and went without a cell phone for years afterwards.  It took him even more years to even agree to get an e-mail address again!  He has my old Samsung Slide phone now, and everyone knows that when it no longer works, he won't replace it.  He would rather spend his time in the garden or greenhouse.  He figures if anyone really needs him, they can call him on the land line, which we still have one.  But the cordless phones all need to be replaced now.  And you know what?  It ain't gonna happen!  

Yup.  We are almost Luddites!  Not quite, but almost!   

Enjoy your evening!

Warmest Regards,

Gremlynn




No comments:

Post a Comment