Followers

Thursday 31 January 2019

Finished Quilt Top, Chips and Canned Spuds

Good Day!  I Say Good Day!

And what a great day it has been thus far!  I have decided to stop stressing over "Living in a Snow Globe" (The Hair. The Hair!  Whatever Shall We do About the Hair!? January 12, 2019 Post) and set about to turn the Roombas loose every morning.  I can give the stairs and areas they don't go a good vacuuming once a week.  It sure has relieved a good chunk of my daily chore time!

So now, while the Roombas are doing their jobs, Master Wilbur and I have been using this same time to go for a walk instead.  And we are certainly in much better spirits for it!  Win Win!

Papa plows around the perimeter of the property for Wilbur and I to take our winter walks.  He gets to go off leash and I get to not having to worry about biffing it on the hidden ice.  <3  <3  <3

After getting all 48 of those Scrap Busting Project quilt blocks finally finished, they sat on my cutting table and taunted me until I was able to come up with a layout plan.  I toyed with several different possibilities and decided to keep it simple - it is a scrap busting project, after all!  In the end, I decided to go with a simple white sashing, with a navy corner stone at each end. 

Back to the scrap bins. I found another navy blue, very close in value to the center blue block.  This will work.  I wouldn't need much. Just .20 m would do to cut out 63, 2" squares.  Score!

I was considering doing the sashing in various whites, when I found a larger piece of a white; 1.40 m, left over from another project.  I cut this into 110, 2" x 11" sashing pieces.  There wasn't even a thread left over when I was done cutting!  I had exactly, on the money, just enough!  Whew!  No stress there!

I then proceeded to assemble the top.  Keeping with the simplicity theme, the only outer border would be a repeat of the sashing and corner stones.  I am happy to say that I a quite pleased with the end result.  

Now it hangs in the Studio.  Taunting me to be quilted!  

Quilt top complete!  Final measurement is approx 74" x 98"

As I was assembling the quilt top, the light shone just so, onto my Emerald Anniversary Band. It was then I noticed a chip in one of the stones.  This is the same anniversary band that has had chipped emeralds previously replaced.  And reshaped, after I smashed it into an oval shape.  And had the band rebuilt after breaking it.  Sigh.  I am not meant to wear rings.  

Another chipped stone.  I am so hard on my rings.

I have a few beautiful rings that Papa has bought for me over the years that sit in my jewellery box. I don't wear them because this is what I do to them.  He says to wear them and wear them out.  I love his attitude. 

And finally the Spuds!  I purchased several Pressure Canning Cookbooks this winter for some light reading.  I love canning, preserving, baking and cooking.  This is just another skill set I want to improve upon.

I came across a method to pressure can potatoes and I thought, why not!?  Ours are keeping well in the pit, but sometimes it would be nice to have some precooked potatoes on hand to make into Potato Salad, mash up for a Shepard's Pie topping or have readily available for Potato Buns or Potato Dumplings. It would even be nice to open a jar, just to fry up for hash-browns.  So much quicker than starting from scratch.  Pint jars would net enough for any of these options.  Oh, the possibilities!

So, off Papa went to the pit to get me a bin of potatoes for this project.  He didn't have anything else planned that morning, so he offered to peel them for me.  Bonus!  He peeled and rinsed.  I diced and rinsed.  They then needed to come to a boil for 2 minutes. A final rinse, then packed into pint sized jars to be pressure canned for 35 minutes.  Two hours from start to finish.  I now have 18 pints of pressure canned spuds, ready to action at a moment's notice!  It really doesn't take much to make me happy!

18 pints of pressure canned potatoes ready to go!
I am glad that Wilbur and I got out for our walk earlier this morning as it is now raining.  Hopefully things don't get too slippery out there!

Thank you for stopping by to share my day with me.

Until next time!

Gremlynn




2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for this entertaining read. Wilbur looks very happy to be out and about on his new track. Those canned potatoes look great!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are most welcome, Kathy's A Quilter. I am glad you enjoyed it. We do have fun! Have a lovely evening. ❤️

    ReplyDelete